1 small red onion, finely diced (approx. 1/2 cup)
1 red chilli, finely diced
Juice and zest of 2 limes
Salt- to taste
2 cans pole & line skipjack tuna (approx. 2 cups)
1 cup freshly grated coconut (or desiccated) - rehydrate desiccated coconut in a bowl by covering with hot water and/or coconut milk for at least 10 minutes (or overnight)
Traditional 'roti' flatbread or baby gem lettuce 'boats'
Coriander leaves, chopped
(Enough for 6 as canapes, 4 as an appetiser or 2 as a larger meal)
1. Crush the onion and chilli together in a bowl, add the lime juice, zest and salt and mix.
2. Flake the tuna into the bowl, then add the coconut and mix well.
3. Leave the flavours to develop for a while.
4. Spoon the mixture into roti, or individual baby lettuce leaves.
5. Sprinkle with coriander to garnish (optional, not traditional).