Chili canapé fishcakes with cod
Caroline Rye Caroline Rye is The Urban Fishwife, Edinburgh based chef, food writer and food stylist specialising in seafood
4 spring onions, trimmed
A half thumb sized chunk of ginger, peeled
1 small hot chili, halved and deseeded
Small bunch of fresh coriander, leaves and stalks
Zest of 1 lime
1 tsp fish sauce
Good pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
2 tbsp cornflour
Sunflower oil, or another light, neutral oil for frying
For the dipping sauce4 tbsp sweet chili sauce
Juice of one lime
1-2 small hot chilies, finely chopped (seeds optional)
- Place the fish, spring onions, ginger, chili, coriander, lime zest, fish sauce and seasoning in a food processor. Blitz in the processor till the mixture is well blended.
- Shape the mixture firmly into small, bitesized fishcakes. Coat each one lightly in a little cornflour.
- Heat a little oil in a frying or sauté pan on a medium heat. Reduce the heat and cook the fishcakes for a few minutes on each side, till golden. Do this in two batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Drain on kitchen paper. Keep the first batch warm in a low oven while cooking the rest.
- To make the dipping sauce mix all the ingredients together and pour into a small serving bowl.
- Serve the fishcakes with the dipping sauce, as part of a canapé party or as an appetiser with drinks.