Creamy scallops and shallots
1 heaped tablespoon butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
4 to 6 scallops per person (or more depending on your appetite)- drain them but keep their juice in a bowl and set aside.
60ml double cream (adjust to taste)
Salt and pepper- to taste
60ml high-quality whisky (adjust to taste)
2. Next, add the chopped shallot and sweat on a very low heat.
3. When the shallot pieces are translucent, place the drained scallops in the pan and gently turn for about a minute.*
4. Add the cream (increase or decrease the amount depending on your preferred cream to whisky ratio) and the scallop juice set aside from earlier.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Then turn the scallops gently for another minute, making sure that the seasoning is well mixed through.
7. In a separate deep saucepan, heat up the whisky.
8. Pour onto the scallops, and flambé the dish.
9. When all of the alcohol has been burnt off, its flavour will be embedded in the sauce, and the dish ready to serve!
10. Quickly transfer the scallops with the sauce onto a warm plate and serve immediately.
* When cooking the scallops, be as quick as you can! Scallops are very easy to overcook.