Fresh salted cod brandade
Charlotte Langley Chef Charlotte is an ambassador for MSC Canada.
½ cup sea salt
1 tbsp canola oil
1 large Spanish onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic chopped
3 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
2 cups 35% cream
Zest of one lemon
If using frozen cod, thaw in the fridge overnight and pat dry once thawed.
1. Place the cod in a leakproof container and cover it completely, on all sides with the salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Rinse the cod lightly, then soak in 6 cups of cold water for 30 minutes. Remove the cod and transfer the salted water to a medium sized pot.
3. Boil the potatoes in the salted water until very tender, approximately 15 minutes.
In another medium sized pot, heat the canola oil on low and sweat the onions and garlic, approximately 10 minutes.
4. Add the cod, and cover for 5 -10 minutes to steam the fish without adding any colour.
5. Add the potatoes and cream and let reduce until thick and sticky, approximately 15 minutes.
6. Use a wooden spoon to break apart the ingredients until a rough mashed potato consistency is achieved.
7. If desired, bake under the broiler until a golden brown crust forms.
8. Let cool and serve in a bowl with sprinkle of fresh pepper and crusty bread.
Make ahead: Store in the fridge in an airtight container. Before serving, reheat in a
350˚F oven for 15-20 minutes or until warmed through.