400g (14 oz) sushi-grade salmon fillet, skinned
100g (4 oz) thinly sliced smoked salmon
1 large clove garlic, very finely chopped
3 shallots, peeled, very finely chopped
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
12 turns of the black pepper mill
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
A few drops of Worcestershire sauce
For the garnish
24-32 sprigs of lambs lettuce
Extra virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
- Cut the salmon fillet and smoked salmon into thin strips about 5mm ( ¼ inch) wide. Place into a bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix together well.
- Line four 7.5cm (3 in) ramekins or similar sized containers with clingfilm, leaving the edges overhanging. Divide the tartare mixture between the ramekins and press down lightly, so that the tops are smooth.
- Invert the ramekins into the centre of four of the largest dinner plates you have – the bigger the better. Remove the ramekin and clingfilm and arrange six to eight sprigs of lamb lettuce evenly around the edge of each plate.
- To finish, drizzle a little olive oil over the leaves and around the outside edge of each plate and add a few drops of balsamic vinegar in between the streaks of oil. Finally, sprinkle with a little sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve straight away, with a bowl of extra salad if you wish. Enjoy!