Warm salad of scallops, roasted squash, radishes and pomegranate
Charlotte Langley Chef Langley is an ambassador for MSC Canada.
800g to 1kg of MSC certified scallops (fresh or frozen)
1 bunch of French breakfast radishes (or any radish you like), about 12 pieces. Leaves removed, washed and kept aside
1 large butternut squash
1/4 cup pomegranate syrup (or substitute with honey)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp butter
I/4 cup pomegranate seeds
2. Preheat oven to 350˚F
3. Peel butternut squash and cut into equal, bite sized pieces
4. Remove and wash the leaves from radishes, save for later
5. Heat a cast iron or other oven proof pan on medium high heat but not smoking. Toss the squash in a little olive oil and salt and sautée until you get a nice colour, approximately 10 minutes.
6. Place in the oven and continue roasting till tender, approximately 25 minutes
7. Heat another pan to medium, toss the radishes in a little olive oil and salt and sautée until some colour is achieved and radishes are just slightly soft, approximately 8 minutes
8. Deglaze the pan with the pomegranate syrup and continue tossing radishes until they are coated well and syrup is warm
9. Remove immediately from heat and let rest to the side
10. In another large pan, heat to medium and add butter until it becomes frothy
11. Sprinkle scallops with a little salt and place in foamed butter
12. Toss around pan until just cooked (approximately 3 minutes for smaller Bay scallops, 4-5 minutes if using larger ones)
13. Pull off heat, put scallops on a plate and set aside.
14. In a large stainless-steel bowl, toss the scallops, squash, radishes with the glaze and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
15. Plate luxuriously family style on a platter or on individual plates, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds
TIP: If your radish leaves don’t look so great, substitute with arugula or any other slightly firm leafy green you love (kale might be too tough, butter lettuce too soft).